Woodland Laurel Road

The Woodland Laurel Road Neighborhood Association

The Woodland Laurel Neighborhood Association was formed in 2011 and represents the residents of Woodland Road from Hammond Street to Laurel Road, all residents of Laurel, Aston and Cedar Roads.  The formation of The Woodland Laurel Neighborhood Association is a unified reaction to the changing traffic patterns and development that has impacted the character of the area.

Laurel2 Laurel1

The Woodland and Laurel Road area is a historically significant area representing residential development in Brookline in the 1930’s.  Two thirds of the houses were built from 1932 to 1939. The majority of the pre-World War II houses in the subdivision are Colonial Revival, although there are examples of England Revival and French Eclectic.  Most of the houses constructed after World War II are traditional ranches.

The earliest houses in the neighborhood were constructed on Woodland Road and the northern end of Laurel Road.  These homes were built for the property owners and the building costs ranged from $12,000 to $25,000.  The architectural firm, Joseph D. Leland Company or Leland & Larsen (The firm changed its name in 1935 to reflect the addition of Neils Larsen.) designed these early homes and in the majority of the homes, August Johnson was the builder.  This accounts for one quarter of the houses.   About 1935, more houses were built but on a speculative basis rather than for a particular family.  By 1940 construction in the Woodland Laurel Road area had commenced on both sides of Cedar and down Laurel as far as Aston Road.  Development continued after World War II in the years between 1950 to 1955 with the construction of houses on Aston and Hammond Street.  The neighborhood is once again seeing new construction as buildable lots have become available and older homes have been renovated extensively.

A visit to this Brookline neighborhood is not only unique for the history of the homes.  The Oak trees that line the road are fully mature and welcome the visitor and resident alike with a green arbor.

Chair:  Abby Coffin